250g lentils of choice
2 bay leaves
1 packet Britwurst sausage (preferably beef or lamb)
1 packet Britwurst smoked bacon
1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely diced
3 celery stalks (leaves included if possible), chopped
4 large carrots
900ml beef/chicken/vegetable stock
250g spinach (fresh or frozen)
black pepper, grounded
1. Prepare lentils to packet instructions (adding the bay leaves when cooking).
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the sausage and brown whilst stirring frequently. Remove the sausage to a cutting board and cut into smaller pieces. Reserve on the side.
3. Add the onions, garlic and bacon to the saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the rest of the vegetables, along with the stock and lentils in their cooked water and bring to the boil.
5. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for 45 minutes.
6. 15 minutes before serving add the spinach and stir. Check for seasoning.
7. Serve with bread and a sprinkling of parsley.
Whilst using beef or lamb sausages is not essential, it is recommended. If you prefer you can twist and snip them into 3rds before cooking. If so, you do not need to slice them afterwards. If using a thicker sausage I would serve them whole.
I used 2 ‘Suppengrün’ bunches for my vegetable mix instead of carrots, but the celery was separate.
Try using a home made stock if possible. I used one from when I boiled some beef with some vegetables and it was perfect.
We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website.